Topic: ESP8266 Standalone ?

My very simple project runs fine on the ESP8266 module itself, needing only one input, and 1 output.

But it looks like I can't use that as the target module, RemoteXY's configuration expects a target module, and the ESP8266 module is just the communications bridge device.

Has anyone successfully got this to work without an Arduino or other device connected ?

2B, or not 2B, that is the pencil ...

Re: ESP8266 Standalone ?

Simply select "wifi on chip" as module

Guillaume wrote:

Simply select "wifi on chip" as module

It still asks for a "Device", until such time the "Apply" button is disabled....

Yes of course, you have to select an esp8266 device...

Guillaume wrote:

Yes of course, you have to select an esp8266 device...

... which does not appear on the "Device" selection page.

Essentially, it will not allow me to select the ESP8266 as both the "Device" and the "Module", and assumes that the ESP8266 is a "bridge" module to a "device", rather than it being the target for the downloaded app.

The closest I can get to a configuration which gives me the "Apply" button, is to select the "Device" as an ESP32 board, and the "Module" as "WiFi on chip".

This gives me this configuration...

// RemoteXY select connection mode and include library 
#define REMOTEXY_MODE__ESP32CORE_WIFI_POINT
#include <WiFi.h>

#include <RemoteXY.h>

// RemoteXY connection settings 
#define REMOTEXY_WIFI_SSID "RemoteXY"
#define REMOTEXY_WIFI_PASSWORD "12345678"
#define REMOTEXY_SERVER_PORT 6377

.... which does not work with the ESP8266

Use one of these, they are all using an esp8266 and it makes no difference at all in the generated code.

WeMos D1
WeMos D1 R2
WeMos D1 mini
NodeMCU V2
NodeMCU V3

I don't know why there are all these boards listed (and many other existing boards that are not listed), instead of just one option "esp8266".

Remote XY generates the code for those boards and the GPIOs have to be modified because the ESP8266 does not accept the tag of those devices.

For example, D2 -> 2 in ESP8266.

What you don't know ... Question !! and what you know ... Share !! - By Joan