1 (edited by madtooler 2019-02-04 03:42:19)

Topic: Cannot reconnect on Android

I have tried connecting to my Esp8266 as an access point from three android devices.  Two phones and one tablet.  From both phones, one running android 9, the other 6.0.1, it is able to connect the first attempt, then only spins the loading without ever finishing (at least not for several minutes).  With the tablet running android 6.0.1, it is able to connect and stop and reconnect without issue. 

I have also noticed the tablet will fully disconnect the system wifi from the esp and reconnect to the local network upon stopping the access point.  That would be the desirable action. 

With the phones, I have to manually force them back to the local wifi network.  I have also deleted the esp's wifi from the phones without luck.  Also uninstalled and reinstalled the app, restarted phones, restarted esp during connection attempt and before/after.   

Any suggestions or known issues with workarounds?

Thanks.

Re: Cannot reconnect on Android

Update, I found an old android phone with version 5.1 OS.  It works properly.  It also auto reconnects to the local wifi after the connection to the esp is stopped.

Any idea if this is an easy fix in the near future?

I am considering encouraging use of this app with our robotics groups, but 50% success is a bit lower than I would like to push.

Thanks again.

I found a link to troubleshooting a similar problem in another post and it worked for the android 9.0.  I will check other devices when I get a chance.

"Check the peculiarities of your smartphone
Some models of smartphones on Android base have some peculiarities of connecting WiFi access points, and the access point may not turn on automatically. Try to connect to the access point manually beforehand, using the system settings. After that, try to connect to the device from the RemoteXY application. If in this case the connection is established, your smartphone has that kind of peculiarity."

Well, the "peculiarity" workaround worked for a little with 9, then stopped.  Bummer.