Topic: Example not working, what's going on?

I am trying the example:  https://remotexy.com/en/help/start/arduino-esp8266-ss/ using an Arduino UNO and ESP-01 module wired as shown.  Everything seemed to work correctly - the code compiled and I see the AT messages as described in the serial terminal, including AT+CIPSERVE=1,6377.

I can connect to the REMOTEXY access point with my iPhone (it seems unstable at times) and when I tell the RemoteXP app to CONNECT to RemoteXY at port 6377 it does display the GUI screen with the button in the middle - but that's all.   The button doesn't have any effect on the LED on the Arduino.

But what does happen is the Arduino begins sending LOTS of data - the TX LED flashes non-stop for 4-5 minutes and during this time the blue LED on the wi-fi board is illuminated.   During this time if I go back to the "main" screen there is "wi-fi symbol" displayed and a little green circle spinning which seems to indicate downloading to the phone.  Sometimes it is orange instead of green.   This goes on for 5 minutes and when at last it stops the GUI shows big flashing letters "DISCONNECT" even though my phone still shows that I am connected to the RemoteXY AP.     After a while the whole 5 minute data transmission starts over again.   As before, all this time the message "AT+CIPSEND=0,6 scrolls continuously on the serial monitor (each line starts with several unicode characters)

All this is quite confusing since I haven't found an explanation, so let me ask:
1.  Is this normal?   Why should it take so long to download the GUI?
2.  What does the green spinning circle mean?
3.  What does it mean when it is orange?
4.  Is further documentation on errors or the transmission sequence available?
5.  Why would DISCONNECT be displayed if the phone is still connected to the AP?
5.  Are log files or other diagnostic tools available?

I'd appreciate any suggestion as to why the example isn't working right as it appears that I've got it wired right and the program is correct since it was downloaded from the website and compiles OK.

I did beef up the ESP-01 power supply to make sure that wasn't it - but it made no difference vs powered from the Uno.  I also tried using the "ethernet" connection option and typing in the IP and port manually just started the same crazy 5 minute transmission cycle, and a Disconnect.

Thanks!
Bob

Re: Example not working, what's going on?

Most likely your connection is working.
You must understand that the connection has several levels. Connected Wi-Fi does not mean that the remotexy is connected.
LED does not flash for some other reason.

w9ran wrote:

1.  Is this normal?   Why should it take so long to download the GUI?

If you see the GUI on the screen, it means that the GUI is loaded.

w9ran wrote:

2.  What does the green spinning circle mean?

This means RemoteXY is connected

w9ran wrote:

3.  What does it mean when it is orange?

This means RemoteXY is disconnected and and tries to reconnect.

w9ran wrote:

4. Is further documentation on errors or the transmission sequence available?

Сonnection has been established. LED does not flash for some other reason

w9ran wrote:

5. Why would DISCONNECT be displayed if the phone is still connected to the AP?

Wi-Fi is connected but RemoteXY is disconnected. Similarly if your computer is connected to the network but the server is not available

w9ran wrote:

5. Are log files or other diagnostic tools available?

No, sorry

Re: Example not working, what's going on?

Thanks very much for your prompt reply and for the clarification of what I am seeing.  It makes much more sense now.

I found I was unable to log onto to the RemoteXY network so I re-downloaded the Arduino sketch and for whatever reason, now it's working!    I am now able to control the LED, so I can start learning.

Regards,
Bob