1

Topic: Have my own cloud server

Hello,

Is there any paid or free solution that I can run my own cloud server?

The latency and lags are sometimes very high which leads to continuous disconnections.

2 (edited by Gunner 2021-06-05 07:34:31)

Re: Have my own cloud server

Two topics for same issue?

Nothing mentioned about local server options, free or paid.  But is does say "testing phase" so perhaps in the future.

https://remotexy.com/en/help/start/ardu … 266-cloud/

If you Search the forum, there is also this snippet about the beta library...

remotexy wrote:

- multiple connections using different communication methods;

http://forum.remotexy.com/viewtopic.php?id=1248

Perhaps with some experimentation you can program multiple boot options for your device's connection choice.  One for cloud connection and one for Access Point.

"And voila, which is French for.......'and then I found out.'"

3

Re: Have my own cloud server

Gunner wrote:

Two topics for same issue?

Nothing mentioned about local server options, free or paid.  But is does say "testing phase" so perhaps in the future.

https://remotexy.com/en/help/start/ardu … 266-cloud/

If you Search the forum, there is also this snippet about the beta library...

remotexy wrote:

- multiple connections using different communication methods;

http://forum.remotexy.com/viewtopic.php?id=1248

Perhaps with some experimentation you can program multiple boot options for your device's connection choice.  One for cloud connection and one for Access Point.

Dear Gunner, thanks for the quick reply. But they are not the same:

In this one, I asked for the possibility of a local server.

And in another, I asked for a workaround to directly connect to ESP8266 while it is already connected to the cloud. The main connection will remain as CLOUD and I want to run a TCP socket to listen for incoming LAN requests as well.

4 (edited by Gunner 2021-06-05 18:31:20)

Re: Have my own cloud server

Cloud lag with two requested workarounds == Same Issue smile  This forum is too small to need scattershot topics like that so I personally will ignore the other topic. 

The developer will have to answer the cloud questions.  Meanwhile, I can recommend you try this method:

- Select Ethernet in the App and Editor config. 
- Use a free 3rd party DDNS service (I use noip.com ) to your WAN IP and use the DDNS address in the App
- Use your LAN SSID credentials in your sketch
- Setup port forwarding in your router from the WAN to the LAN of your device

This works as your App communicates, however it can and wherever you are, to the internet and thus to the DDNS address, gets redirected to your routers WAN IP, the router port forwards the packets to your device and back.

Unfortunately, my current internet access (via Cellular Hotspot) prevents me from testing this with RemoteXY for myself, so I can't say if there are any quirks in RemoteXY that prevents this from working, but the same method has worked well for me in the past with other App based connections to my router.

"And voila, which is French for.......'and then I found out.'"

5

Re: Have my own cloud server

Gunner wrote:

Cloud lag with two requested workarounds == Same Issue smile  This forum is too small to need scattershot topics like that so I personally will ignore the other topic. 

The developer will have to answer the cloud questions.  Meanwhile, I can recommend you try this method:

- Select Ethernet in the App and Editor config. 
- Use a free 3rd party DDNS service (I use noip.com ) to your WAN IP and use the DDNS address in the App
- Use your LAN SSID credentials in your sketch
- Setup port forwarding in your router from the WAN to the LAN of your device

This works as your App communicates, however it can and wherever you are, to the internet and thus to the DDNS address, gets redirected to your routers WAN IP, the router port forwards the packets to your device and back.

Unfortunately, my current internet access (via Cellular Hotspot) prevents me from testing this with RemoteXY for myself, so I can't say if there are any quirks in RemoteXY that prevents this from working, but the same method has worked well for me in the past with other App based connections to my router.

If I had port-forwarding option (as I have for my other devices), I certainly would not go to the cloud service.
The modem doesn't get any valid IP to be used in DDNS services and new connction can only be placed outbound, not inbound.

All I need is to be able to connect directly to the device in the internal network in addition to the cloud service for when I'm not at home.

6 (edited by Gunner 2021-06-05 19:01:44)

Re: Have my own cloud server

modest1981@gmail.com wrote:

If I had port-forwarding option (as I have for my other devices)

Not clear... either you do know how to, and have option of, port forwarding in your router or not??

modest1981@gmail.com wrote:

All I need is to be able to connect directly to the device in the internal network in addition to the cloud service for when I'm not at home.

Which is EXACTLY the same result as what I just described.  My phone and Apps always connected via cellular (or through my router) to the DDNS service and redirected back to the Router, regardless whether I was home or not.

Use that method for results now, or don't... As for the other requested options, that is all up to the developer, and the developers timeframe.

"And voila, which is French for.......'and then I found out.'"

7

Re: Have my own cloud server

Sorry for not making it clear.
Suppose my ISP blocks all ports to users. In such case, no port forwarding works at all anf you have to switch to cloud solutions.

8

Re: Have my own cloud server

If your ISP is restrictive, then even a local server may be useless.

"And voila, which is French for.......'and then I found out.'"

9

Re: Have my own cloud server

You cen test your own cloud server using docker
https://hub.docker.com/r/remotexy/cloud

10 (edited by Gunner 2021-06-10 17:35:47)

Re: Have my own cloud server

Nice addition!  I really have no need for such, but now I will test out Docker along with this RemoteXY cloud server, just for fun big_smile

"And voila, which is French for.......'and then I found out.'"

11

Re: Have my own cloud server

remotexy wrote:

You cen test your own cloud server using docker
https://hub.docker.com/r/remotexy/cloud

Great.

12 (edited by Gunner 2021-06-10 19:25:31)

Re: Have my own cloud server

Works great. 
- Docker and remotexy cloud setup on my server in a distant location, via cable internet
- Device connecting at my living location, via cell hotspot
- Phone/App on it's own cell connection.
- Running my Random RGB Matrix to test latency http://forum.remotexy.com/viewtopic.php?id=1317

BTW modest1981@gmail.com  You still have to setup port forwarding on your network, if you run Docker on your own hardware... so basically subject to ISP allowances/requirements as would be with what I already mentioned above with the DDNS redirection.  And if you run Docker on some other 3rd party cloud service then you are probably right back to a potentially larger lag issue... all depending on geolocation of all the pieces.

"And voila, which is French for.......'and then I found out.'"