1 (edited by tedbear 2023-02-10 13:19:00)

Topic: BLE differences between boards

I used RemoteXY to create a simple sketch using BLE.  It was very simple and used two push buttons on the screen to control two GPIO pins.  If I use this sketch on one of my boards that is using ESP 32 WROVER and built in relays it works fine.  It will work with my iPhone 6, iPhone 8, iPad Pro and Android tablet.  As long as power is present for the board, my phones/tablets will attempt to connect.  This attempt will be successful unless one of the phones or tablets is currently connected via BLE to the board. I understand this as only one phone or tablet can "have the ball" and must give up control before another phone or tablet can take control. 

However, if I use this same simple BLE sketch and load it into some of my other boards such as ESP 32-WROOM or ESP32-CAM, the connection will be made if I force a reset on the board.  If I leave the board powered up and close the RemoteXY app on a phone or tablet, the connection is not retained for the next use.  It is necessary for me to perform a reset on the board for it to be recognized for each new session.  This is not practical for my uses. It appears there are differences in how the various boards work with BLE and my phones/tablets. The ESP32 WROOM and ESP32 CAM boards work fine with Access Point communication.

Even with the board that works properly, the BLE device name is not shown in the Bluetooth "list" under the phone or tablets SETTINGS, yet other BLE devices such as a my car and truck connections to their radios and other BLE applications are in the list.

Any insights are appreciated.

Re: BLE differences between boards

I read today that there are variations even within BLE, I suspect that is my problem and that the WROVER boards behave slightly differently than the WROOM and ESP32 CAM boards with BLE.

Guess I best stick with Access Point as that seems more dependable for my purposes.